Saturday, August 8, 2009

Twitter Fail (Win?)

I haven't been able to update my twitter in a few days (@jorgetheBOSS90) because apparently I play a central role in the Georgia-Russia conflict. While most of twitter seems to be running smoothly again (at least, that's what I've heard from my fellow twitter members), for some

2009AUG070758Image by bootload via Flickr

reason I still lack the ability to send tweets, update my settings, and do just about anything else central to what makes twitter, twitter. So if you're wondering why I haven't tweeted anything in 48 hours, although I don't see why you would considering the fact that right now I possess a commanding 7 followers, three of which are spam bots, there's your answer.

All the other times that twitter has gone down, which apparently happens all too frequently, I haven't really been affected because I don't fall under the category of "twitter addict." Hell, I don't even fall under the category of "heavy user." It just so happened that this DDoS attack occured on the same day I created this blog, and my ability to promote it has been severely hampered as a result. In all seriousness, it would surprise me if even one person is reading this (if you are then welcome! tell your friends!) but this way if this blog ever becomes popular, you'll have mass amounts of reading material to hold you over until I come down from on high with my much sought after new blog post.

But while we're on the topic of twitter I wanted to share a story with you guys. You may or may not have heard about this, but earlier today a tour helicopter crashed with a small plane over the Hudson River in New York. The reason I bring this story up is because almost immediately tweets of what had just happened where sent to the internet masses via twitter. While I hope that these guys called 911 before sending out tweets on TwitterBerry, I think that this situation completely embodies the way that news intake has moved in this day and age. Even CNN has embraced the use of iReport, their program where individuals like you and me send in news stories. As I type this, the main picture on the CNN article of this story is from an iReporter. I think that this is a great move for media and while some may aruge that leaving news reporting to the masses leaves the door wide open for bias regarding the interpretation of the story, I think that when it comes down to the barebone facts of what just occured, anyone could report fairly accurately. I'm curious to see where media and news reporting moves in the future.

Let me know what you think in the comments. Until next time.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment