Saturday, August 15, 2009

Give The Kid A Chance

Michael Vick (en), of the Atlanta Falcons (en)...Image via Wikipedia

I had originally intended for this blog to be a daily thing, but between the work of packing for school and trying to squeeze in everything I need to do before I leave, I've realized that this blog is probably going to end up being closer to a weekly thing. Like I said, that was never the plan but I'm still getting up to speed on this whole blogging thing and smoothing out the wrinkles. If I could put a beta tag on this blog, I would.

That little tidbit was just something I wanted to preface this post with before I got to the actual heart of what I'm about to write. As you may or may not know, Michael Vick was given conditional reinstatement into the NFL a couple weeks ago, but had yet to sign with a team. On Thursday night, Michael Vick signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. While I personally was excited that this had happened, it was clear that not everyone felt the same way. For example, Friday's issue of the Philadelphia Daily News featured Michael Vick's face on the front page with the headline "Hide Your Dogs." Not the most welcoming reception. However, some NFL players sent out tweets that were in support of Vick. Shawne Merriman of the San Diego Chargers (@shawnemerriman) wrote: "Just got in from practice and seen on the tube that vick signed a 2 yr deal with the eagles CONGRADS to him." Takeo Spikes of the San Francisco 49ers (@TakeoSpikes51) wrote: "Congrats to Mike Vick for landing on his feet in Philly. He deserves to play, period." Finally, Reggie Bush of the New Orleans Saints (@reggie_bush) wrote: "I think it's great the Mike Vick has signed with the Eagles! Everyone deserves a second chance! The only person who can judge us is God..."

Personally, I agree with these players. While I certainly don't condone what Vick did, the truth is that not only has he served his time, but people have done a lot worse and gotten away with it. Vick does in fact deserve a second chance. If he goes to Philadelphia and starts a new dogfighting ring or commits any other sort of animal cruelty, then by all means kick him out. But for now, I'd rather see people give Vick the chance to be the changed man he says he is and see him in uniform on a football field.

Let me know what you think in the comments below. Until next time.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment