Thursday, August 6, 2009

The First of Many

For a while now I've wanted to start writing a blog, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I wanted to write about. I didn't want to write a blog recapping the activities or shenanigans I had been a part of earlier that day; That wouldn't have been interesting. I thought about giving my two cents on big news stories that happened on whatever day I updated this blog, and while I liked that idea better than what essentially boiled down to an internet diary, I still wasn't sure. As it turns out, I still have no idea what I want the long-term theme of this blog to be, however I do know what I want to write about tonight.

David Pogue writes a New York times blog that I think is absolutely great. Lately, he's launched a campaign dubbed "Take Back the Beep." The goal behind this campaign is to get rid of the mandatory 15 second messages that a caller is forced to listen to each time the recipient of the phone call can't come to the phone. This mandatory message is in addition to the personalized greeting that person leaves. As Pogue puts it, "These little 15-second waits add up–bigtime. If Verizon’s 70 million customers leave or check messages twice a weekday, Verizon rakes in about $620 million a year. That’s your money. And your time: three hours of your time a year, just sitting there listening to the same message over and over again every year." I

Straight-to-beep cheat sheetImage by johnlamb via Flickr

completely agree with this campaign and so I've decided to include links to respective phone companies where people can direct their complaints and attempt to get phone companies to remove, or at least make optional, these 15 second messages.

Verizon: Post a complaint here
AT&T: Send e-mail to: customerissues@attnews.us
T-Mobile: Post a complaint here

Note: Sprint isn't included on this list because they've already made this 15-second message optional.

Leave your opinion on the mandatory messages in the comments. I would love to hear what you guys have to say. I'll consider this a very successful blog if people can come together, debate, and maybe even learn something regardless of how many people regularly keep up with it.

Until next time.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment